Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Breanna Stewart condemns 'homophobic death threats' sent to wife after WNBA Finals loss -Golden Summit Finance
Rekubit Exchange:Breanna Stewart condemns 'homophobic death threats' sent to wife after WNBA Finals loss
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 05:10:06
New York Liberty All-Star Breanna Stewart says her family is Rekubit Exchangetaking "proper precautions" to remain safe after receiving "homophobic death threats" during the 2024 WNBA Finals.
Stewart revealed that her wife, retired professional basketball player Marta Xargay Casademont, received a discriminatory email that threatened violence against Stewart and Casademont after the Liberty's overtime loss to the Minnesota Lynx in Game 1 on Thursday. The email included homophobic language and death threats, including "I hope someone shoots your wife dead."
"We love that people are engaged in our sport, but not to the point that there’s threats or harassment or homophobic comments being made," Stewart said on Tuesday ahead of Wednesday's Game 3. "We’re just continuing to let the league know — they’re handling it — but also just continuing to use this platform to make sure everyone knows that it’s unacceptable to bring to this sport and into the world."
WNBA FINALS WINNERS, LOSERS:Series living up to hype, needs consistent officiating
GAME 2:New York Liberty stars put on a show for college coaches
During an interview with ESPN on Tuesday, Stewart said the email "came after the Game 1 loss" and noted that "a few other things have happened." Stewart said that although her family is "definitely doing OK," the email sent directly to Casademont's personal account hits too close to home.
"I don’t look at all my (social media direct) messages, but the fact that it came directly to Marta’s email is something she couldn’t not see," Stewart said Tuesday. "The level of closeness was a little bit different and I think that we want to make sure obviously that myself and Marta are OK, but our kids are the ones who are safest."
"We continue to emphasize that there is absolutely no room for hateful or threatening comments made about players, teams or anyone affiliated with the WNBA," a league spokesperson said in a statement issued to USA TODAY Sports. "We’re aware of the most recent matter and are working with league and team security as well as law enforcement on appropriate security measures.”
The Liberty did not respond to a request for comment from USA TODAY Sports.
Stewart, 30, and Casademont, 33, tied the knot in July 2021 and share two children — Ruby, 3, and Theo, who turns 1 this month. The WNBA Finals series is even at 1-1 with the series shifting to Minnesota for Game 3 Wednesday.
WNBA condemns threatening comments
As the WNBA has grown in popularity, so have security concerns.
Homophobia and racism has been an ongoing issue in the WNBA this season as a new wave of fans have flocked to the sport. Last month, the WNBA condemned all "racist, derogatory or threatening comments" following an increase in incidents, including a threatening and racist email sent to the Connecticut Sun's Dijonai Carrington.
The WNBA issued a statement last month, saying it is "monitoring threat-related activity" and will work with the teams and venues "to take appropriate measures, to include involving law enforcement, as necessary. ... While we welcome a growing fan base, the WNBA will not tolerate racist, derogatory, or threatening comments made about players, teams and anyone affiliated with the league," the statement added.
Stewart said the league needs to be proactive against threats, instead of reactive.
"I think that (commissioner) Cathy (Engelbert) and the league can just continue to make sure they’re ahead of this," Stewart said Tuesday. "Everything that’s happened since Thursday everyone has walked hand in hand, step in step with what to do going forward. But if there’s a way to prevent this or just be ready for action so me and Marta aren’t like (wondering what to do), there needs to be a like a protocol or something before the season."
Contributing: Lindsay Schnell from Minneapolis
This story was updated to add new information.
veryGood! (871)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Kid Cudi says he had a stroke at 32. Hailey Bieber was 25. How common are they?
- Late-stage cervical cancer cases are on the rise
- 300 Scientists Oppose Trump Nominee: ‘More Dangerous Than Climate Change is Lying’
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Maria Menounos Recalls Fearing She Wouldn't Get to Meet Her Baby After Cancer Diagnosis
- Democrat Charlie Crist to face Ron DeSantis in Florida race for governor
- N. Richard Werthamer
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Not Sure What to Wear Under Low Cut, Backless Looks? Kim Kardashian's SKIMS Drops New Shapewear Solutions
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals How Chris Martin Compares to Her Other Exes
- Today’s Climate: May 25, 2010
- Ozone, Mercury, Ash, CO2: Regulations Take on Coal’s Dirty Underside
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Striving to outrace polio: What's it like living with the disease
- Dr. Anthony Fauci Steps Away
- Life expectancy in the U.S. continues to drop, driven by COVID-19
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Jon Bon Jovi Reacts to Criticism Over Son Jake's Engagement to Millie Bobby Brown
The Truth About Queen Camilla's Life Before She Ended Up With King Charles III
Pete Davidson Mourns Death of Beloved Dog Henry
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Children's hospitals are the latest target of anti-LGBTQ harassment
King Charles III Can Carry On This Top-Notch Advice From Queen Elizabeth II
As Climate Talks Open, Federal Report Exposes U.S. Credibility Gap